Sunday, November 8, 2009

SCBWI Illustrator's Day (Update)

This last Saturday was my first time attending Illustrator's Day and it was a great experience! So many talented artists were their displaying their portfolios and the speakers were informative, helpful, and fun. A lot of great tips were given on ways to promote yourself and be seen by publishers, so I took lots of notes! I was also able to have two portfolio reviews, one by Illustrator Adam McCauley, and one by Chad Beckerman, Art Director for Abrams Books for Young Readers and Amulet Books. I got some great feedback and constructive criticism to work with.

Then, to conclude the awesome day of meeting fun people and seeing great art, it was announced that I was one of the Judge's Choice winners for the portfolio contest! What an unexpected and pleasant surprise!! It certainly made my day!

See more photos on the Illustrator's Day Facebook Page

Here's another piece I did (the day before the conference!) that was included in my portfolio. It goes along with a Limerick by Edward Lear:

There was an old man with a beard,
Who said, “It is just as I feared!
Two owls and a hen,
Four larks and a wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!"

No comments: