Saturday, December 27, 2014

Another Year Gone


     It's that time of year again. Time to reflect on all that has happened in the passed year and make goals for the year to come. Personally, and professionally, it has been a year of waiting; a year of "Almost, but not yet". It is a frustrating place to be because in most cases there isn't anything I can do to change the outcome, I just have to wait for it to happen. However, there has also been a lot that did happen! Here are some highlights from the last year:
  • Even just taking a quick look back on my own blog posts, I realize that I have done a good amount of personal work. That was a goal of mine for the year, and although I would have liked to do MORE personal work, I'm glad for the work I did. I finally got to work on some ideas and characters that have been locked up in my head for so long. 
  • Kobee Manatee Book 1 received a second award: the Gold Mom's Choice Award!
  • Completed 3 full picture books! Phew! 
    • Book 2 of the Kobee Manatee series.
    • The Coal Thief (book 1 of 3 in a series).
    • The Littlest Angel of All.
  • I got a new Wacom Cintiq which has made my work flow a lot faster in certain areas. I am so thankful for this new tool!
  • I made a spreadsheet of Publishers and Agents that I wanted to submit to. I have been able to consistently submit and update my spreadsheet with all the contact I have had with industry people. I keep track of all my correspondences and interactions. I great discipline to make a habit out of!
  • I have spent intentional time working on drawing/sketching kids. I have a pretty good handle on drawing animals, but I know that my people need work. I feel like I am starting to go in the right direction with my humans, but I still have a ways to go. Many pages in my sketch book have been filled with kids, kids, kids.
  • I have been working on making small adjustments to my painting technique to give my finished artwork a more unique and distinct look. Texture has been one of my main focuses.

     I am so grateful for all the opportunities I've had this year! I certainly feel like it has been a year of growth and learning, as well as a year of accomplishment and success. It is easy to dwell on everything I DIDN'T do or accomplish, so it is good for me to see all that I HAVE done.

     Up next are new goals for the coming year...

No comments: