Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mountain Man Sketch


There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!
-Edward Lear

Here's another sketch of an idea for a new portfolio piece. It was inspired by a limerick I read by Edward Lear, an English artist, illustrator, author, and poet, known for his literary nonsense, in poetry and prose, and especially his limericks, a form that he popularised. I could read them all day!

The illustration will have a little more scenery in the background (mountains, because he's a mountain man!) but it'll be more of a character study than a full illustration. I'm thinking about doing this one in charcoal so I can have some black and white drawings in my portfolio, but I might do a color version and a charcoal version if I really like it!


UPDATE: See the Final version here!

1 comment:

Becka_Bo said...

I LOVE this! He's so cute! :D

...and you said that you don't do whimsical...