Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Drawing Kids

As I mentioned in my previous post, one of the critiques I got on my portfolio was to have more kids. So I've spent some time just sketching kids. Pages and pages of kids (which I will continue to do). I'm still figuring out what "style" I want to draw them in, but I think no matter what I do, it will have a touch of my own style in it, so I'm not going to stress about that too much.

I'm also working on character design, so below is a character for a story idea that I'm starting on. It's still very early on so I know he will develop a lot more as the story takes shape. Another piece of advice I am taking from the SCBWI conference is to just live with your characters for awhile. As anxious as I might be to jump right in and try to finish a story, I need to let my character live in my sketchbook for awhile and see what happens. At the very least it is a good way to practice drawing the character consistently.


Here are a few more sketches that I have been posting on my Facebook Page in case you missed them.





No comments: