Monday, October 24, 2011

Grandma Mary Gallegos

This last week my grandma, Mary Gallegos, passed away. It’s been hard, but at the same time, I haven’t really processed it yet because she lived in Idaho, so it doesn't feel like anything has changed. I’m going up there next weekend for the memorial service and I’m sure it will feel a lot more real once I’m there with all my family. But until then, I’m not even really sure what I feel.

My grandma was a painter and a house-wife and loved her family deeply. Growing up I always saw this painting that my grandma did (I’m guessing it’s more of a study than a finished piece) sitting in her garage. I always liked it and one day, before she moved from Whittier to Idaho, I asked her what she was going to do with it. She didn’t even want it so I told her I wanted it and it’s been hanging in my room ever since. It’s my favorite painting of my grandma’s. I love the spontaneity of her strokes and how she only gives the impression of some of the objects. Plus I love the color scheme, it fits with my room very well! So in memory of her, and her artistic life, I did a study of her study. Mine is a little more polished and “finished”…I don’t know if I would be able to capture the spontaneity of her strokes. But I'm happy with it and I'm sure she would have enjoyed it as well.

I'm so thankful that some her personality and passion is captured in her paintings so I will remember her, always. I will miss you grandma. 
 My grandma's study is about 24x48.
I did a 6x12 study of my grandma's study.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Bobo; It is beautiful and she would have loved it.